Terms of Service
Updated: August 15, 2014
- Eligibility. Use of the Service is void where prohibited. The Service is for users of all ages. For children under 13, Vocabulist requires parental consent. By using the Service, you represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; and (c) your use of the Service does not violate any applicable law or regulation.
- Your Vocabulist Account and Data. If you create an account on the Service, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and data, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account. You must immediately notify Vocabulist of any unauthorized uses of your data, your account or any other breaches of security. Vocabulist will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions. Vocabulist may from time to time set storage limits for your data, or take any other measures Vocabulist considers appropriate to manage the Service. Vocabulist may also from time to time change its policies on offering commercial content or displaying advertising, and it may do this without notice.
- Reasonable Use. Vocabulist is designed for study-use, and usage of the Service should not exceed reasonable limits, such as more than 100 documents per month or 1000 words per month, whichever is greater. Vocabulist reserves the right to set or change usage limits for the Service at any time, as well as the right to suspend accounts that show excessive usage. Vocabulist also reserves the right to charge for usage beyond an initial free tier at any time. If any account is suspended, the account holder will be notified via email.
- Prohibited Content and Activities, and Responsibility of Contributors. If you create documents, post material to the Service, post links on the Service, or otherwise make material available by means of the Service (any such material, "Content"), you are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, computer software or any other format in which Vocabulist stores data.
The purpose of the Service is studying, and users are asked to post only study-related Content. The following are examples of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through the Service. Vocabulist reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in Vocabulist's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending Content from the Service and terminating the accounts of such violators. Prohibited Content includes, but is not limited to, Content that, in the sole discretion of Vocabulist:
- is patently offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any class or individual;
- harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains anything sexually suggestive, excessive violence, or offensive subject matter;
- solicits personal information from anyone under 18;
- publicly posts information that poses or creates a privacy or security risk to any person;
- includes information about another person that you have posted without that person's consent;
- violates the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark rights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.
- constitutes or promotes information that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- constitutes or promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work;
- solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other Users;
- involves the transmission of "junk mail," "chain letters," or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging, or "spamming";
- furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- involves commercial activities and/or sales without prior written consent from Vocabulist such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or pyramid schemes;
The following are examples of the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Service. Vocabulist reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in Vocabulist's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, reporting you to law enforcement authorities. Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:
- criminal or tortious activity, including child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, sending of viruses or other harmful files, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets;
- circumventing or modifying, attempting to circumvent or modify, or encouraging or assisting any other person in circumventing or modifying any security technology or software that is part of the Service;
- impersonating or attempting to impersonate another user, person or entity;
- using the account, username, or password of another user at any time or disclosing your password to any third party or permitting any third party to access your account;
- using any information obtained from the Service in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person or entity, or attempting to do the same;
- activity that involves the use of viruses, bots, worms, or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware, or otherwise permit the unauthorized use of or access to a computer or a computer network;
- any automated use of the system, such as, but not limited to, using scripts to create or post Content;
- interfering with, disrupting, or creating an undue burden on the Service or the networks or services connected to the Service;
- displaying an unauthorized commercial advertisement on the Service, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity through the unauthorized or impermissible use of the Service on behalf of that person; or
- using the Service in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
reproduces, duplicates, copies, sells, trades, resells, or exploits for any commercial purposes, any portion or use of, or access to, the Content and/or services offered throughout this Service (unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement)
By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not obscene or libelous, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party; and
- you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Vocabulist or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Vocabulist for inclusion on the Service, for example uploading a vocabulary list, you grant Vocabulist a world-wide, perpetual, royalty-free license (with right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display, and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now or later developed).
Such additional uses by Vocabulist, or other companies or individuals who partner with Vocabulist, may be made with no compensation paid to you with respect to the Content that you submit, post, or otherwise make available through the Service.
- Responsibility of Service Visitors. Vocabulist has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material posted to the Service, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material's content, use or effects. By operating the Service, Vocabulist does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Service may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Service may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Vocabulist disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Service, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Vocabulist links, and that link to Vocabulist. Vocabulist does not have any control over those non-Vocabulist websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Vocabulist website or webpage, Vocabulist does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive Content. Vocabulist disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Vocabulist websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Vocabulist asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Vocabulist violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Vocabulist. Vocabulist will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Vocabulist or others, Vocabulist may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Service. In the case of such termination, Vocabulist will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Vocabulist.
- Changes. The Service, including without limitation all content there available and these Terms and Conditions, may be changed at the sole discretion of Vocabulist and without notice. You are bound by any such updates or changes, including but not limited to those affecting these Terms and Conditions, and so should periodically review these Terms and Conditions.
- Limitation of warranties of Vocabulist, its suppliers and its licensors. Except as otherwise expressly stated, all content posted to or available from the Service is provided "as is", and Vocabulist, its suppliers and its licensors make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title or non-infringement of proprietary rights. You understand and agree that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Service at your own discretion and risk, and that Vocabulist, its suppliers and its licensors will have no liability or responsibility for any damage to your computer system or data that results from the download or use of such content or services. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above may not apply to you.
- Limitation of liability of Vocabulist, its suppliers and its licensors. Except as otherwise expressly stated, in no event will Vocabulist, its suppliers or its licensors be liable to you or any other party for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or exemplary damages, regardless of the basis or nature of the claim, resulting from any use of the Service, or the contents thereof or of any hyperlinked website including without limitation any lost profits, business interruption, loss of data or otherwise, even if Vocabulist, its suppliers or its licensors were expressly advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will the aggregate liability for any and all of your claims against Vocabulist, its suppliers and its licensors arising out of or related to use of the Service, or the contents thereof or of any hyperlinked website exceed the amounts actually paid by you to Vocabulist during the 12-month period prior to the date a claim is made. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for certain incidental or consequential damages, so some of the above limitations may not apply to you. The parties agree that this Section 10 represents a reasonable allocation of risk.
- Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Vocabulist, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Service, including but not limited to out of your violation of any representation or warranty contained in these Terms and Conditions.
- Miscellaneous. These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between Vocabulist and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Vocabulist, or by the posting by Vocabulist of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, these Terms and Conditions, any access to or use of the Service will be governed by the laws of the state of California, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in San Francisco County, California. If any part of these Terms and Conditions is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of these Terms and Conditions or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under these Terms and Conditions to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms; Vocabulist may assign its rights under these Terms and Conditions without condition. These Terms and Conditions will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.